Don’t feel shy, uncomfortable or even pushy about selling your music. Offering items for sale gives your audience a way to support you and thank you.
Struggling with how to make money selling music online? No one wants to feel like they are being sleazy or tacky when asking for sales. Today, I will share some tactics you can utilize during live performances and online. Your audience wants to thank you for the experience you have created so don’t rob your audience of supporting you.
Speaking of supporting artists, head over to the WOS Podcast to listen to the #MeToo podcasts where you can hear songs chock full of emotions from despair, anger to uplifting and restoring. Head over to wospodcast.com or wosradio.com to listen. You’ll hear songs from many women in our very own community.
How to make money selling music online
- Good marketing makes sales a simple transaction
- The pre-sale happens in the marketing
- They have already decided they will buy before getting to the sale
- No need to convince them to buy
- Include easy to follow calls to action
How do we market correctly?
- Marketing does the heavy lifting
- Telling stories and creating experiences
- Authenticity – be yourself
- Offer incentives to buy
Show, don’t tell
- Great performances including a variety of songs, new and old
- Hold up the CD and other merch on stage
- Give CDs away
Educate your audience
- Tell stories that the audience can relate to or solidify your songs
- Say what CD the song is on
- Tell the audience how to support us and what buying a CD or merch does for you
- Their purchases sustains you and your art
Announce it MULTIPLE times during a live or online show
- Most people didn’t hear you the first time or even the second time
- Beginning, middle and end of performance.
- Point them in the right direction
- If online, share the link to visit multiples times or put it in the chat
Assume they want to buy in your announcement
- “When you come to the merch table…” not “If you want to buy something…”
- Assume the presell is already done
- Be confident in what you have for sale and express it
Sales becomes a call to action to get something they already want
- Directing them to the right place
- Copy should speak that way on website
This podcast opens the door for a series where I will be doing on promoting and selling music iun a more practical sense. If you are struggling with how to make money selling music online, you’ll find lots of useful information to put into practice in your own music business.
ResourcesEmail your questions for Bree to answer on the show: Bree@FEMusician.comLeave your audio questions for Bree to play on the air and answer (you can promote yourself too): SpeakPipeSubscribe to the show on iTunesGive us a review on iTunesListen on SoundcloudShow Editing by Jen Edds at 317 Sound DesignMusic by Stella Ronson
ABOUT HOST BREE NOBLE
Bree Noble is an entrepreneur, musician and speaker. She founded Women of Substance Radio, an online radio station that promotes quality female artists in all genres, in 2007. She launched the Women of Substance Music Podcast in November 2014, a 5 day per week show which promotes Independent female artists. Her podcast has hit #1 in New & Noteworthy for the Music, Arts and Society & Culture categories and #4 Audio Podcast on all of iTunes. She draws on her extensive experience running her own music business, both as a solo musician and as an Industry professional, to train and mentor other female musicians. Learn more about the station, the show and the artists atwww.wosradio.com. Connect with Bree on Twitter @BreeNoble or on Facebook or on Instagram @breenoblemusic
Leave a Comment