Music licensing for film and TV can be a lucrative income stream for artists. Taxi Music Founder and CEO, Michael Laskow, answers your questions about his company and their mission.
For 26 years, Taxi Music has been bridging the gap between artists and music supervisors. In fact, having a direct connection to music supervisors has gotten 40% of Taxi members music placed and at least 6% have gotten deals. With about 1,000 listings published each year, a membership to Taxi Music is a valuable resource. Not only do members get the opportunity to submit their music but they also get helpful feedback and advice from screeners, who are experts in the field.
Female Musician Academy member, Michelle Lockey, got her start with Taxi Music. Now she earns a consistent income from licensing her music for film and TV. Learn more about Taxi by clicking the button below.
Click here for more resources for your music business.
How the critique works
- Tells people why their music doesn’t work for a particular aspect
- Ideas for improvement (writing, instrumentation, etc)
- Forums in taxi are free (forums.taxi.com)
- Critique swaps – completely free
- Screeners are real experts
Should members have a lot of music in a particular genre to make it worth it?
- All of Taxi’s requests are offered for public perusal for free
- People overlook the instrumental category
- Get on taxi email list and get emails about listings
- Taxi is a Reflection of what the industry is looking for at any given time
Benefits of joining Taxi Music
- Listings for all kinds of things
- Feedback on submissions
- Taxi Road Rally tickets for member and a guest (Taxi convention)
- Make money through listings for Tv and film
What differs publishers from Taxi Music
- They get you placed and they get half the money
- Do paperwork and pitching
- Track income and get income to you
- Taxi helps you get to publishers and music supervisors
- Sometimes, musician gets to keep 100% of money by using Taxi
- Free for members and a guest
- November 1 – 4. Registration 1st, panels classes, meet and greet, networking 2nd – 4th
- Meta data presentations
- How and why music is picked for reality tv
- Music licensing listing and feedback panels
- Sharon Farber – Composer
- Beth Warnick of Imaginary Friends
- 1:1 Mentoring
ResourcesEmail your questions for Bree to answer on the show: Bree@FEMusician.comLeave your audio questions for Bree to play on the air and answer (you can promote yourself too): SpeakPipeSubscribe to the show on iTunesGive us a review on iTunesListen on SoundcloudShow Editing by Jen Edds at 317 Sound DesignMusic by Stella Ronson
ABOUT HOST BREE NOBLE
Bree Noble is an entrepreneur, musician and speaker. She founded Women of Substance Radio, an online radio station that promotes quality female artists in all genres, in 2007. She launched the Women of Substance Music Podcast in November 2014, a 5 day per week show which promotes Independent female artists. Her podcast has hit #1 in New & Noteworthy for the Music, Arts and Society & Culture categories and #4 Audio Podcast on all of iTunes. She draws on her extensive experience running her own music business, both as a solo musician and as an Industry professional, to train and mentor other female musicians. Learn more about the station, the show and the artists atwww.wosradio.com. Connect with Bree on Twitter @BreeNoble or on Facebook or on Instagram