I talk with Jennie DeVoe about why she turned down a record deal contract near the beginning of her career, deciding to remain fiercely independent. We discuss what makes an artist unique and how to always put forth your very best. She touches on the importance of growing a fan base and what an honor it is to have fans who continue to support you. Finally she explains how tenacity and guts helped her land a steady stream of music licensing deals. Jennie is fun, angaging and full of amazing stories that will help you in your music career journey.
How to Differentiate Yourself from Other Artists
- Do something that is really you
- Don’t follow current radio trends
- Put forth your best effort at EVERY show
- Find your own voice
- Write songs to support the sweet spot in your voice
Growing and Keeping a Loyal Fanbase Without A Record Deal Contract
- You are not entitled to fan loyalty
- You must earn fan loyalty. This is especially important as an Indie with no record deal contract.
- Determine how you are special as an artist to grow your fanbase
- Give your best at every performance. You never know when it might be your last.
Making the Choice to Turn Down a Record Deal Contract & Stay an Independent Artist
- Throwing conventional music industry wisdom out the window
- Making the conscious choice to stay independent after understanding how the major record label business works and what a record deal contract really means for your career.
- How Patty Griffin was shelved in her record deal contract and how that influenced her choice to remain independent
- Understanding the privilege of radio play.
- Getting songs licensed for Dawson’s Creek and Party of Five TV shows
- Do your research.
- Don’t be afraid to make the call!
- Licensing your music for commercials
Connect With Jennie
ResourcesEmail your questions for Bree to answer on the show: Bree@FEMusician.comLeave your audio questions for Bree to play on the air and answer (you can promote yourself too): SpeakPipeSubscribe to the show on iTunesGive us a review on iTunesListen on SoundcloudShow Editing by Jen Edds at 317 Sound DesignMusic by Stella Ronson
ABOUT HOST BREE NOBLEBree Noble is an entrepreneur, musician and speaker. She founded Women of Substance Radio, an online radio station that promotes quality female artists in all genres, in 2007. She launched the Women of Substance Music Podcast in November 2014, a 5 day per week show which promotes Independent female artists. Her podcast has hit #1 in New & Noteworthy for the Music, Arts and Society & Culture categories and #4 Audio Podcast on all of iTunes. She draws on her extensive experience running her own music business, both as a solo musician and as an Industry professional, to train and mentor other female musicians. Learn more about the station, the show and the artists atwww.wosradio.com. Connect with Bree on Twitter @BreeNoble or on Facebook or on Instagram @breenoblemusic