I talk with Music Publicist Stacey Sherman about promoting Indie Artists and her experience on her maiden voyage to South By Southwest, the behemoth Music Festival held every March in Austin, Texas.
What Does a Music Publicist Do?
- Why it’s important for publicists to be organized and detail-oriented.
- How she got started in PR and what kind of clients she works with.
- Why she focuses on Indie Artists.
- Why your bio might be turning people off and how you can fix it.
- How to make yourself stand out as a musician by telling stories.
- The top 3 most effective ways for Indie artists to promote their music.
The SXSW Social Scene
- Stacey gives us the unofficial SXSW “tour”, exposing all of the craziness, disorganization, joys and frustrations of this huge music festival.
- She vividly describes the SXSW street style reminiscent of Mardi Gras.
- She discusses how Industry professionals use SXSW to network with each other.
- Why you need to do networking beforehand or you will probably waste your time at SXSW.
- She breaks down the reasons why A&R people would attend SXSW – it’s probably not what you think.
- How you may be able to attract journalists to write about your SXSW performance.
- The myth of “getting discovered”.
- Where you should be in your career before you consider going to South by Southwest.
- What your social media presence needs to look like to be taken seriously as a musician or band.
- How 3 Indie artists connected on social media and worked together to make the most of South by Southwest – #LadybeastTrifecta.
- Cool ideas on how artists can combine forces to build each other’s careers through festivals like SXSW and online.
- How a publicist can be a buffer between you and the venue to improve relationships at events.
- How creating a collaborative “event” to promote makes it easier to publicize instead of having to sell yourself.
- Community not competition is working together to make the whole Indie community better.
Is SXSW too big to be a good networking opportunity for an artist?
- Are there other conferences that would be a better option for networking?
How to get invited to SXSW parties and which ones to go to.
- Rachael Ray SXSW party is the place for food. She got my mouth watering talking about the Whole Foods cookie bar extravaganza!
- Where to see great music at SXSW.
- What merchandise and promo items to bring (and not to bring) to SXSW.
- Travel tips including where to stay during SXSW and how to find them.
CONNECT WITH STACEY
Connect on Facebook
Connect on Twitter
SubCat Studios where Stacey recorded her interview in Syracuse, NY
Email your questions for Bree to answer on the show: Bree@FEMusician.com
Leave your audio questions for Bree to play on the air and answer (you can promote yourself too): SpeakPipe
Subscribe to the show on iTUnes
Give us a review on iTunes to be entered to win CDs & merchandise from our guests
Listen on Soundcloud
Music by Stella Ronson
ABOUT HOST BREE NOBLEBree Noble is an entrepreneur, musician and speaker. She founded Women of Substance Radio, an online radio station that promotes quality female artists in all genres, in 2007. She launched the Women of Substance Music Podcast in November 2014, a 5 day per week show which promotes Independent female artists. Her podcast has hit #1 in New & Noteworthy for the Music, Arts and Society & Culture categories and #4 Audio Podcast on all of iTunes. She draws on her extensive experience running her own music business, both as a solo musician and as an Industry professional, to train and mentor other female musicians. Learn more about the station, the show and the artists at www.wosradio.com. Connect with Bree on Twitter@BreeNoble or on Facebook